Tuesday, November 22, 2011

A note of thanks to my dear 2007 Nissan Maxima

I recently completed 100k miles on my dear Maxima and thought that it’s a good time to thank it for its service. It was sort of love at first drive. We have had quite a many great rides together and this car has stuck by me through thick and thin over the last 4 years.
For a review of 2007 car, this probably would not make much sense. So – instead of talking about my model, I would just talk about the car that Maxima is and how it has served me over 100k miles.

Chapter 1: How I got to buying it
It was late Aug / early Sep 2007. I was in the mood to buy a new car. With Manjari and I both working, it had become difficult to manage with just the Accord. The Accord had been a dependable car until then it seems logical to go for another Honda. It also made sense to go for an AWD given New Jersey and all…
So, the first car I test drove was the CRV. For an SUV looking vehicle – it was a complete disappointment. No acceleration, no 6 cylinder variant, no fun in driving. It felt like a Civic engine had been fitted inside the cloak of a crossover / SUV. So – that was a no-no.
Since I was at Honda – why not test drive an Accord too? Sadly – the new Accord LX drove just like my 10 year old Accord. You can say that’s great on the part of Honda that my 10 year old car drove so fantastically – but then that was a sign to move away from Honda as well.
Upon further research – I concluded that even a car without AWD can do well in NJ weather. With traction control and all you know. Also – the records for last few years had fooled me into believing that it really does not snow that much here (see, I am still in 2007). So – decision of AWD change. Let’s go back to sedans.
Next choice – Altima.
I was in full mood to buy an Altima – as it was by far the sexiest vehicle in the mid-size lineup (still is – I think). So – off to Nissan for a test drive. And the drive was great. Much more fun that Accord. And then I thought why not test drive the Maxima too. I am not going to drive it anyways – and won’t probably get a chance to drive it in the near future either.
And… it was love at first drive….
The punch that car had, the luxury it exuded, the way it felt to step on the gas, the way it accelerated (Maxima’s CVT is awesome) – I was sold. And then – there was the keyless entry.
So – I left home to buy a 20k car, came back with a 30k one….

Chapter 2: The drive, the looks…
It is inherently a sports sedan. In fact – starting 2009, they marketed as a 4 door sports car. The soul of the car is pure fun. It is not the most practical vehicle as it costs nearly as much as some of the entry level luxury vehicles but sports a Nissan label. It has a huge trunk. Utilize it fully in the long trips to Florida / Ohio / Maine or wherever.
However – it has the heart and soul to beat all those luxury label cars in a whiff. You can feel the acceleration during the pickup but when you are merging on a highway and some jerk is not letting you in – that is when you really appreciate what this car can do for you. No longer do you need to be at the mercy of people letting you in – make you own space.
Although – you might get carried away by the punch– as I have on occasion (a few tickets to prove that).
AND – in its segment, it is by far the best looking car. I was actually so in love with my 2007 car that I even mentioned to some people that it was not possible for Nissan to improve upon the looks in the next revision. I really thought that the 2009 version was a downgrade in some regards (less space and all) but then it is a sports car.

Chapter 3: It’s really not that expensive to drive
Well, for a 10k uptick over mid-size cars – you might end up thinking that it will cost a lot more to drive as well. I didn’t find that to be the case. With reasonable driving, you can a combined mileage of 23 or so. The car literally has not maintenance costs – except for scheduled maintenance.
Over my 100k miles, I had only had the following things done on the car:
- Liquids change (oil, coolant etc.), filter etc.
- Brakes change (once)
- Tire change (once)
- Tire rotation etc.
- Minor body work (accident and all)
- Remote key battery change (once)
I haven’t even had to do an electrical bulb change. So – on the whole, for the fun that you get, it’s not all that expensive. That said – I still have to go for the 105k mile service $$$.

Chapter 4: How it saved my life…
Ok – so saving my life might be an exaggeration but it did save me from a big accident. I was on the turnpike, traveling at 65 MPH. My tires (factory fitted) had deteriorated quite a bit and were due for a change. I planned to get that done over the weekend – but that was still a couple days away.
Tire pressure light comes up.
Ok – I am on my way to the office. I will get the air checked while returning. Should be ok.
And then I hear “Splat”. The car seems to shake a bit. Seems to be on an incline – but I am on a plain road. That’s when I realize that the tire has burst.
The car drove steady on 3 tires until I put on the blinkers, pulled over and get it fixed.
I had only seen stuff in movies where if the tire bursts while driving, the car spins out of control before crashing into another car and both are set on fire.
Well – this was uneventful. And Thankfully so…

Chapter 5: What can be better.
There are 3 things I want from the next gen Maxima:
1. A smaller turning radius: There is no excuse for a radius as big as this car has. I have seem bigger SUVs have a smaller turning radius (Lexus RX350). Parking it in tight spots is a nightmare
2. All Wheel Drive: Well – at least come up with an option. No – I do not want to buy Infinite G37x. I want a Maxima AWD
3. Something so that there is a lesser loss of power after 75k miles. I get the feeling that some of punch has gone (understandably). But – it feels like the power output might be down by 20% or so. May be things get better after changing spark plugs

Chapter 6: What next for me?
In the next 1 year, I might be looking for a new car. I have 3 totally different things in mind at this moment – one of them being hypothetical. Let me know what you would recommend.
And yes – if you are putting in a recommendation (as in a comment), please do not say if you want this, then get this car. I know that already…
1. Range Rover Evoque – by far the sexiest car in the market today
2. Chevy Volt: I would have also considered a leaf, but Volt is just so practical
3. Maxima AWD – assuming they come out with one

So – which one would you pick?

2 comments:

  1. Since you are hitting midlife (crisis) a convertible is the logical option. Mini cooper or Porsche..:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Viswa - may be in another 10 years man.
    However - it definitely won't be a Mini - just hate it.
    May be a Camaro or a Nissan 370Z.

    ReplyDelete